Loose ends

I picked this bike up as an incomplete project.
As such there were one or two loose ends on the bike, none of which were worth talking about individually. With the bike needed for a track day I went about making some of these problems go away.

Hoses

 Simple things like getting fuel to the carbs were still yet to be achieved.
I have a selection of silica hoses which were good for things like breathers and a few lengths of braided fuel line were ordered to handle the fuel tank.
I left plenty of excess in length to allow the tank to be raised for maintenance before cutting the hose to length and attaching either end with a jubilee clip.
With this done I could run the bike up but more on that another time.

 Bodywork

The fairings have largely been secured with tech screws and matching anchor nuts. Replacement M6 dome head screws were ordered to replace these for a more secure factory look.
The front mudguard was secured with nuts and bolts. To get the mudguard on you need to remove the front wheel which is pretty silly but not a complete hardship.
The tail unit, being an after market item, had no securing points that matched the subframe.
I opted for a pair of screws passing through the seat to the plate just aft of the battery.
 The tank was also free to do its own thing.
I didn't have a front hook rubber anywhere so made one up out of foam pad and some rubber spacing tape left over from a bicycle light kit. This does the job but will not be very hard wearing if I keep popping the tank on and off so I will replace this in the future.
The back of the tank is bolted on with two M8 screws. I had some spare in a tin which were quite possibly off of my old GSXR400 for that authentic rusty Suzuki shed look.


Brakes


 Both front and rear brakes were inopperative.
The fronts were pretty clean looking with some braided lines. I had been warned that the pistons might be seized, which some were.
Using an easybleeder I bled the lines of any residual fluid then pumped the pistons most of the way out to give them a good clean.
After a fair bit of brake cleaner and brushing later, the pistos mostly moved evenly so I slapped some new pads in and bolted the calipers into place.
One of the calipers bolts slipped before hitting torque so I replaced the bolt with a slightly longer one and stuck a locking washer under its head to help hold it in place.
In the future I will helicoil the caliper or just replace it as a loose brake bolt is far from confidence inspiring.
That aside, with the brakes bled and mounted they did feel pretty sharp.


The rear brake has two bleed points and can be a pain to bleed especially when left dry like this one was. A syringe type bleeder would be best used here.
I only had a motrax easy bleeder so after a fair bit of pumping the brake pedal, the caliper finally started spitting out fluid from both sides.

Whilst I was there I changed the rear brake reservoir for an HRC type hose reservoir as I had a couple kicking about and they look trick.

Other bits

Aside from tightening up a few bolts and getting the thing running right that was about it.
The bike is missing a ram air duct on the left but that is only for looks.
The bike ran with a high, rough tick over and a flat mid range. I knew that carbs would be the answer to this one  which was something I wasn't short of.
But I'll save that story for a bit later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carbs, carbs, carbs.

Looking for a sidekick

Big plans and new beginnings.