Big plans and new beginnings.

As you probably already know, I can't leave things alone. 

We don't need keys!

The stock ignition was broken and operated by a screw driver since the key vanished into a hedge long ago. This looks pretty crap so I decided to remove it completely and replace it with a switch.
Having found a nice two position switch with two channels, I soldered the loom which I had cut off of the ignition onto the switch being careful not to cross the two circuits. The ignition loom is connected by a block connector so it is all still easily removable.
This worked great so all I needed to do was fabricate a simple bracket out of ally, spray it black and mount it on my clocks like you can see above. A not too untidy solution to my problem. 

Going SP

I always keep an eye on eBay for little bargains so when a fully registered GSXR400 GK76A SP engine and chassis came up for £100 I thought it rude not to go and get it.
The chassis had yolks, side stand, full wiring lume, air box, header pipes and much more which would have been good for a tonne but an SP engine with close ratio gear box and high lift cams as well was a bloody bargain!

This gave me two options:
  • One would be to stick this engine in my current bike. It is basically the same so should just plop in giving me a stronger motor in a comfy chassis.
  • The other option would be to slow time build a GK76A SP and sell the GK73A once this bike was done.

Finally fixing my 400

Things all came to a head over Christmas 2016 when I, joking to a mate, suggested that the best way to fix a Suzuki is to replace it with a Honda.
My carbs were still giving my trouble and I was getting a little desperate for an answer (this was just before I found the inlet manifold was leaking). A coffee break eBay search came up with a Babybalde at a great price and if you read all of my blogs you will already know what happened next.


Goodbye GSXR's


The fleet of GSXR's were put up for sale the day I picked up my new Honda CBR400 NC29 and were quickly snapped up by a fellow CRMC member from Wales. 
I had put a lot of man hours into that bike and it was very nearly right. I hope he has little bother getting it perfect ready for this years racing.
The CBR is my new 400 pocket rocket and has its own blog but that means this one has to come to an early end.
I still believe the GSXR is the thinking mans 400 with huge potential performance at a very low price but a CBR came up cheap (for a CBR) and I couldn't resist that Honda dependability.
 
I may return should another GSXR cross my path and I hope to add a links page for some of the helpful information I have gathered over the short time I have owned these bike.
I hope you have found this helpful and feel free to flick through my other bike blogs which you will see on my history page above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carbs, carbs, carbs.

Looking for a sidekick